Evening Post: August 12, 1899.
"She immediately alighted, caught hold of the astonished youth, and gave him a sound thrashing, using her fists in a scientific fashion…”
I would love to know what this means.
I think that might be code for “punched him in the balls with devastating accuracy”.
- I’m happy. Busy, but happy.
- I love finding unintended humor in the headlines of schlocky click-bait items people share on Facebook. For example: “This Is A Video EVERYONE Needs To See. For The First Time In My Life, I’m Speechless,” writes some dude who has been speaking continuously for his entire life.
- I’m dating noncommittally and enjoying myself. Online dating isn’t as annoying as it used to be; I’ve gotten better at ignoring the weirdos without a second thought. (Recent weirdos of note: a 67-year-old man wielding a fire sword in his profile picture who wrote me a goddamn tome; a guy from Madrid with the handle “DistantFeet” who wrote simply, “Hi. Do you have nice feet?”) Lately I’ve been jabbering back-and-forth with a guy who lives in St. Louis, is exceptionally witty, does MMA, and listens to Riot Grrrl music. UM.
- Last weekend I went to a wild Independence day party at an old country farmhouse in the hopes of meeting someone new. At about 10 p.m., that someone sidled up to me and drawled, “Hey there. Do you want some whiskey?” What followed was a whirlwind romance like in one of those “all in one crazy night” movies. I liked him a lot. He exuded this old-fashioned sort of manliness, and he spoke passionately and thoughtfully. We danced and laughed and held each other until the birds started chirping. He gave me his number. The next day I found that all my giddiness had dissolved. The whole thing was a perfect dream—I almost don’t want to ruin it.
- I love my new housemates so fucking much. I feel like I’ve found a surrogate family, and it’s wonderful.
- I’m contemplating shuttering this blog for good and moving on. My online life has become so cluttered, and I’m craving some simplicity.
Usually when characters age in movies, they’re covered with makeup and outfitted with prosthetics – or directors use different actors as the character ages. But in the new film Boyhood, none of that is necessary.
The film takes place over the course of 12 years, and it was shot over the course of 12 years. So we watch the actors getting older for real, which gives their characters a sense of authenticity.
Director Richard Linklater told what it was like to cast a 6 year-old boy (Ellar Coltrane) not knowing who he would become:
"It was a huge leap. I just went with a kid who seemed kind of the most interesting. I liked the way his mind worked — he was a little mysterious and sensitive and very thoughtful. He was cut from no ordinary cloth. He was homeschooled and his parents were artists and I thought, "Well, that’s cool, there’ll be some family support for this undertaking. It will be a fun thing to do in his life."
So I think I had the family support but as far as he goes, you kind of have to admit that your main collaborator here has a really unknown future. But I would have each year to incrementally adjust and maybe go toward who he was becoming. That was sort of the design of the movie.”
Boyhood .gif of Ellar Coltrane via CBC
Oh man, I’ve always wondered why no one has done this before. I love Linklater, so I’m excited to check this out.
i could masturbate to this article that’s how much it pleases me
everything about this screams fedora
oh my god this is fucking incredible oh my god
and when you go to a restaurant and eat something cooked by man, that’s where another man put something inside your body that I didn’t. And when the male dentist looks inside your mouth, that’s where another man invaded your mouth. And when the male cashier sells you those clothes, every time you wear them you will think of him, not me.
what the actual ever-loving sweet sugar-coated deep fried fuck??!
(…also, my tat is my own design, and my artist was a woman. But if it will keep douchenozzles like this away, then by George Imma have to find a dude to ink mt next one for me…)
BRB I’M GONNA HAVE TO GO EMERGENCY CALL MY EXTREMELY HOMOSEXUAL MALE TATOO ARTIST TO LET HIM KNOW HE NOW SEXUALLY OWNS MY FEMALE ARM.
Oh man, this makes me happy. I’m glad guys like this are turned off by the tattoo on my arm. They need to stay exactly 100 thousand million billion feet away from me.
There are not enough words for how fucked up this dude is
I was all set to be snarky about this, but I think Neil did well enough on his own.
Neil deGrasse Tyson’s smash album, "Smooth Cosmos"
Track 1- Your Heavenly Body (My Telescope)
Track 2 - The Cosmos Got Nothing On You
Track 3 - The Stars in Your Eyes (are as bright as Europa or even Io)